Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Shaker Inspired Bench - Part 2

With the basic plan in place I was ready to start cutting my joinery.  I started by cutting the dado on the bottom of the top the same width as the legs.  I then used the drill press to drill out the mortises in the top to accept the tenons on the legs.  Then squared up the mortises with a chisel.  I used my table-saw and dado blade to cut the tenons, slowly creeping up on the perfect fit.  

For Christmas I got a new 1/2" up-cut spiral bit, which is perfect for cutting the mortises on the legs.  Using my Festool OF1400 and the edge guide I was able to cut a perfect mortise very quickly.  This is my first spiral router bit, and I love it!

After all the mortises were squared up and multiple times dry-fitting everything I was ready for the final glue up, which went very smoothly.

 View of the through mortises with the split for the wedge.

Bench dry fit (no stretcher yet).

Cutting the mortises in the legs with my new 1/2" up-cut spiral bit, this thing is awesome!

Nice, clean mortise. 

Squared up the mortise with a chisel. 

Final glue up (can't have too many clamps).

No comments:

Post a Comment